Facilitating. Educating. Networking.
Enterprise zones are among Illinois' most important and effective tools to stimulate economic growth and neighborhood revitalization. Although the Enterprise Zone Program is overseen and supervised at the state level by the Department of Commerce and Economic Development (DCEO), its ultimate success depends on the level of localized commitment and participation - and facilitating and guiding local-level enterprise zone activities is the fundamental purpose of the member-based IEZA. (As of 12/06, membership in IEZA totaled 88. For complete IEZA membership information, visit the Membership page.)
Locally, these IEZA activities include the determination of specific economic developement objectives, the selection of incentives, collaboration and coordination, drafting of applications, and carrying out the day-to-day local administration duties of the enterprise zones.
Developing Our Members
Enterprise zone administrators must possess a high level of knowledge and understanding of the legal and legislative aspects of Illinois' Enterprise Zone Program. As such, the IEZA regularly conducts an array of educational opportunities for its members with workshops, conferences, training sessions and panel discussions. These learning forums not only supply IEZA members with needed and insightful information, but also provide members with valuable networking and team-building benefits.
2011 Goals & Objectives
During the IEZA's 2010 Annual Board Retreat, the Board approved the following Goals & Objectives for 2011.
GOAL I: Continue to improve communications with all individuals, governments, organizations and businesses related to the Illinois Enterprise Zone Program.
- Objective: Produce electronic IEZA Newsletters.
- Send congratulatory letter to all new legislators and include information about IEZA.
- Objective: Utilize outside resources to continue the education of Zone Administrators.
- Objective: Maintain and update IEZA Web Site.
- Objective: Maintain centralized comprehensive mail and email lists for membership information, conferences and newsletters. Integrate with online IEZA Web Site.
GOAL II: Continue to broaden awareness of the Illinois Enterprise Zone Program through cooperative efforts with other Economic Development and related organizations.
- Objective: Maintain IEZA web links to web sites of IEZA members, DCEO, IDC, ITIA, IML, Illinois State APA and other Enterprise Zone application-related sites (examples: AG Review, Gas Use Tax Exemption, etc.).
GOAL III: Add "Members Only" value content to the IEZA website.
- Objective: Add content for "Members Only” section of IEZA website to include: Conference Presentations and PowerPoints, Administrator's Handbook CDRom, Survey results, Incentive Calculator and Economic Impact Calculator.
GOAL IV: Continue to increase membership of Zone Administrators and other categories.
- Objective: Maintain contact with each zone administrator by mail and electronic means.
- Objective: Conduct ongoing retention and recruitment efforts.
- Objective: Contact certified businesses and professional member candidates.
GOAL V: Remain active in the enterprise zone legislative process.
- Objective: Monitor and inform members of legislation affecting zones.
- Objective: Pass Illinois Enterprise Zone Termination Date Extension legislation.
- Objective: Analyze and track policies for impacts and effects on the Illinois Enterprise Zone Act and regulations.
- Objective: Determine additional zone features or changes that could improve the zone program and make recommendations.
- Objective: Contact legislators regarding IEZA's positions on legislation and encourage members to make individual contacts.
GOAL VI: Educate zone administrators.
- Objective: Provide continuing education for members through workshops, conferences and web-based content.
- Objective: Conduct survey update related to the zone program and IEZA & member needs.
GOAL VII: Improve assessment of successful investment and job creation that utilizes Illinois Enterprise Zone incentives and programs.
- Objective: Evaluate data collection methods and devise reporting methodologies to better reflect Illinois Enterprise Zone economic impacts at the local, regional and statewide levels.
GOAL VIII: Conduct evaluation of IEZA By-Laws.
- Objective: Evaluate and make recommendations as needed in order to present any changes for ratification at the fall 2011 Annual Meeting.